Greenwood Chapel

United Methodist Church

Carthage, MS

OUR HEARTS, OUR MINDS AND OUR DO0RS ARE ALWAYS OPEN
HOME CALENDAR OF EVENTS & PICTURES PASTOR BAXTON GUEST INFO MEMBERSHIP CONTACT US

CALENDAR OF EVENTS

HISTORY

STAFF

MEMBERSHIP

 

 

 

 

 

                            History

Guest Info

 

Our History

The Word: "The State of Mississippi, Leake County, and The Indentured made this 31 day of January 1872 between Bennett E. Carthan and Catherine Carthan, his wife, of the first part deed to the Colored People of the south end of said property in Beat 3", was taken from the deed which deeded land to the Colored People, as referred to at that time, land for the church and school.

The church building most remembered would be the one that faced the road with the tall steps.  On May 5, 1944 one acre of land was sold to the Trustees of Greenwood Chapel Colored Church, the land located behind the present day church by Susie Truesdale.  In 1960, the chruch was rebuilt under the leadership for Rev. Russell.  The trustees at that time were: Presley (Jack) Smith, Grant Matlock, Edward W. (Ed) Merchant, Willie (Bill) Smith, and Jefferson (Jeff) Smith, Sr.

In 1975, Dorothy Peterson, Douglas Peterson, and Gwen Peterson sold additional land to Greenwood Chapel Methodist Church.  The trustees at that time were: Clarence Smith, Bennett Smith, Cogan Matlock, Melvin Carson, Presley (Jack) Smith, and Clytie Coleman. 

The church was rebuilt in 1960 under the contractor, Presley (Jack) Smith, Sr.  In 1978 the church was remodeled again with Presley (Jack) Smith being the primary contractor.  This occurred under the leadership of Rev. John Cornelius.  This building serves as our present building, Greenwood Chapel United Methodist Church.

In 1995, construction was started on a Fellowship Hall under the leadership of Rev. James Morris.  In June of 1996, Rev.  Marlon King was assigned as pastor and under his leadership the Fellowship Hall was completed.  Clytie Coleman, Herman Hall, Robert Lee Harris, and James Matlock served as builders.  Rev. Marlon King was reassigned as pastor for four years.  In June of 2000, Rev. Willie Handy was appointed to serve as pastor.

Services are conducted on the first and third Sunday of each month, with the first Sunday in August serving as the churches Homecoming.

No record was found for the naming of this church. However, the name Greenwood Chapel has always been a part of the church's name.  Therefore, a search will continue with the intent more information will be be found and added to our beloved Greenwood Chapel United Methodist Church history.


 

 

698 Greenwood Chapel Rd | Carthage, Mississippi 39051 | (601) 267-5007

2014 Greenwood Chapel United Methodist Church. All Rights Reserved.